Just upgraded to Windows 10 and now you find that your iPhone isn’t appearing in iTunes? Windows 10 installs a different drive to that which is bundled with the latest version of iTune for your iPhone. If you don’t have the right driver installed in your device manager your iPhone wont appear in My Computer either.
This guide will show you how to update your iTunes to the latest version and update your device driver for Apple iPhone.
Updating your iTunes software to get the latest driver
First we need to download the latest iTunes software and driver package. You can do this by going to the iTunes website www.itunes.com and hitting the download button. Alternatively you can open iTunes and it will prompt you to download the latest version of iTunes. This package will come with the latest drivers for your iPhone, iPod and iPad.
Fixing iPhone, iPod or iPad not being detected
Now that we have the software drivers that we need we can move on to updating the driver.
- Click on the Start bottom (bottom left of screen)
- Search for Device Manager and open it
- Navigate down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Locate Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and right click on it
- Select Update Driver Software
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software“
- Select “Let me pick from a lost of device drivers on my computer“
- Choose “Have Disk” and press “Browse“
- Navigate to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers”
- Double click on “usbaapl” or “usbaapl64” on Windows 10 64-bit.
- If you didn’t see the files above in the folder find them in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“
- Click Next and Finish
- You may get a Windows message stating that the drive “has not passed Windows Logo testing” simply click Continue Anyway
Now that your driver is installed you can open iTunes or go to My Computer to view your iPhone!
Thanks to Apple’s knowledge base for the fix!
This article is for educational purposes only, use at your own risk. Please contact us for expert Mac & computer repairs.