If you have booted up your laptop or desktop computer and all your files are missing Windows has probably loaded a TEMP profile.
To repair your Windows laptop or desktop PC follow the steps below:
- Open the system registry editor
- Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- Locate the duplicate profile with the same profile id (i.e. S-1-5-21-3433318035-127452263-1201676187-1001 and the .bak variant)
- Rename the variant with the NON .bak to something else i.e. S-1-5-21-3433318035-127452263-1201676187-1001.broken
- Then rename the S-1-5-21-3433318035-127452263-1201676187-1001.bak and remove the .bak extension
- Reboot your machine and your usual profile will load correctly
Ref: http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-fix-temporary-profile-in-windows-7/ | https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947242
The information contained in this article is for educational purposes only. We recommend you contact us to get a computer repair expert to complete the steps above for you so no data is lost.